Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sermon Writing

I am writing a sermon. Wait, no. Let me try that again. I am rewriting and erasing and editing and eeking out a sermon for this Sunday. I enjoy the whole process... after it's done. Right now I am frustrated because once again I am preaching on a "special" day- which is totally cool (United Methodist Women Day)- and while I want to write my fabulous "women rock" sermon... I have the "what is the church" sermon coming out the side gate. I don't know how to put the two together- and I'm tired of my own voice (on paper) at this point. There is little Spirit flowing here- and I could really use some Spirit. I especially would like the Spirit to strike between now and tomorrow evening. That would help. I'm at the point where I could take the existing sermon I have and make something out of it- or... if the Spirit flows- I may take on a totally different direction. The problem is- I need to have the bulletin done by tomorrow. So there's the timeline for the spirit. I've been working on this for a few weeks- so its not procrastination, its that each time I work on it I get blocked and can't make something happen.

I want to preach the Word- not "some words." I want to get complimented after the service because it was a good sermon that makes people think, not because I'm cute and pregnant and that's a novelty to see a pregnant lady preach on UMW Sunday. I want to speak truth that sets people free. I want to speak truth that brings new life into a dull space. I want to speak light in dark corners.

I have high expectations.... and am getting a little nervous about it all. Pray that the Spirit flows!

2 comments:

  1. Well it IS gonna be hard to get past all that cute pregnant-ness! Good luck, I'd love to hear it when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm often in that boat with you, my friend. Be your powerful self to them. You're amazing and they need to hear from you. And post the text on Monday when it's finished; I need to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete