Monday, February 23, 2009

Foot Brakes

I am not a child. But, I am still convinced that foot brakes are the way to go for bicycling. I'm sure there is a perfectly sophisticated explanation for why big time adult bikers need hand brakes- but I think it is counter-intuitive.

Where did this come from? My Dad sent out an email to the family updating us on our biggest loser competition (we're all trying to lose weight)- I'm losing by the way, and not in a good way. In the email, Dad casually mentions that he is cleaning out the garage and our bikes will be shipped to charity by next week unless we claim them. I selfishly really kind of want my bike, but am still trying to figure out a proper justification for why I need it more than some charitable organization. I mention to Jason my ethical dillemma and how much I like my bike because it has foot brakes and a nice cushy seat. He does that half-laugh to my foot brake comment and asks if it's a kids bike. And so it begins.

It is not a kids bike. It is for smart adults like me who are used to braking with their feet. Every other moving mechanism we utilize on solid ground has a foot brake. Cars- foot brake. Skates- foot brake. Go-carts- foot brake. Skiing- foot brake (really you just fall or stop moving- but if you're skilled- you use your feet). You see my point- our brains are wired to STOP with our FEET. SO- why is it childish for a person who is an experienced driver to want their bike to have foot brakes? I don't know. Yes, perhaps we started with foot brakes on the kid bikes- but why did we change? I don't brake the car with my hands now that I'm a grown-up, do I?

It isn't a big deal. But I think I'm now a little self-conscious about the foot brake bike and I resent that! It makes sense to brake with your foot. I tried the hand brakes- they were never as effective as the foot brakes (you had to squeeze too long and hard and help out with your feet- if you were to be in close call- chances are you would just throw your feet to the ground) and I always had my feet wanting to do something...

What do you think? foot brake or hand brake?

and yes, i just wrote an entire blog on bike brakes.

2 comments:

  1. Um, my husband makes fun of me because I have no clue how to use hand breaks or shift gears. I bought a bike at candler and used it once. I blamed it on it being too small for me, but really, I just couldn't do it. I'm for the foot break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You are funny. Don't old lady bikes also have foot brakes? So maybe you're old and not childish. Keep in mind, though, that this is coming from the woman who DVR's every episode of "Murday, She Wrote."

    ReplyDelete