Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Deaf Card

This is a phrase that my older sister and I coined when it comes to getting what we want via our deafness (hearing impairedment, really)- aka- playing the "deaf card." We rarely play the deaf card, but there are instances once in a rare while when the trump card comes out.

Examples of when we might find it appropriate to use the deaf card:
When we had college professors that didn't speak English. Deaf people are the only ones who seem to get their way when it comes to language barriers (not fair, I know)- so we pulled the deaf card and got the only math teacher from southern Georgia (the state, not the country).
When our teachers mistakenly only gave an oral cue for a homework assignment or to be quiet, etc etc. We really didn't hear it! The deaf card.
When our husbands tell us they've told us before. The deaf card.

To keep the deaf card valuable, it usually is based on fact of deafness (we don't pull it falsely) and is kept only for special occasions (we may incur a false penalty and just deal with it so as not to overuse the deaf card). It has been a while since I've pulled the deaf card. Today I had to play it in a way that made me oddly aware of the whole deaf part.

My husband mentioned in passing that he would be leaving after a meeting on Monday night to head to his conference that is Tuesday-Thursday. This is news to me. I thought he was leaving Tuesday morning and so wasn't concerned because my mother is coming Tuesday morning. This brought on some real frustration and, hidden deep down inside, fear for me. We had a little fight about the timing of it all when he checked and realized that he was in fact leaving Tuesday morning and all was well. I had already pulled the deaf card at this point.

Here was the argument: Jason was frustrated that I was freaking out about the whole thing at all because he has been attempting to get me to try our baby monitors on vibrate (the reason we got that model) so that I could be home alone at night with Hunter. Hunter sleeps through the night at this point, so the only real kicker would be what time he decides to get up in the morning. The monitor won't hold a charge for a whole night, so essentially I would have to set my alarm for a certain time in the morning and do the monitor thing and hope to get back to sleep. Those are the things I said to Jason. Plus I told him that I wouldn't be able to sleep well the whole night, knowing I might be missing something and obsession over whether he was asleep or awake. I could sleep with my hearing aids in, I guess, but they would whistle and I would have a restless sleep still.

Here is what I didn't say to Jason (I will, don't worry you therapists- I just took a while to realize where I am): I am scared out of my mind of having someone dependent on me when I don't know if they can be. That is why I have avoided the whole baby monitor practice thing, that is why I always seem to have someone with me when Jason is out of town. I'm avoiding my fear. I don't want to deal with it at all, and was hoping not to have to until Hunter was sleeping in and could get up and wake me up if he needed to (which is in two years??). And because I haven't communicated this to Jason, his annoyance with me is misinterpreted (by me) as a lack of compassion. I know he can't understand my fear, and sometimes I worry that he resents my dependance. THIS is the revelation of my deaf card pull today- and it was not pretty. I felt momentarily like I was somehow less capable or able to be a mother simply because I can't hear at night. This I know to be false, and as I've said countless times, deaf people have kids- so it's possible- but I never faced the fear or the reality of figuring out how to do it myself.

So I suppose I have to go tell this to Jason, get more comfortable with the monitor thing or keep my hearing aids in, etc. I have to face my fear. I have to figure it out. I can't play the deaf card this time- it played me!

3 comments:

  1. This is a huge revelation, Sarah! And I'm sure Jason will be glad to hear that there is true basis in what (I'm guessing from my experience with him and marriage) seemed like a irrational response. I had a similar experience on a totally different scale (let me emphasize that I realize it's a totally different scale): I learned abour 4:30 p.m. today that Becca woke up several times between 5 am and 7 am. John got up and resettled her, but I had no idea that 1) she had woken up or 2) John (with whom I share a bed!) had gotten up. Because my sweet husband snores like a neanderthal, I had my earplugs in, and I must have been OUT. Usually I still hear enough with them in to still hear her on the monitor (and the neanderthal next to me, and this is why in the sleeping department I have heretofor been jealous of your ability to take your ears out), but not this morning. It was so weird to learn many hours later that my baby was crying in the room next to me, and I had no idea. Again, different scale, but a glimpse for me of how unsettling the idea of a solo night would be for you. So I kind of hear you. (Damn, I'm punny.)

    And one practical idea: it might be time to invest in the two monitor version of the Graco. Perhaps you might sleep better if you knew that you would always have a monitor on, even though you would have to set an alarm to switch them out...unless it vibrates as it dies, like it gives the warning beeps...not sure. Then sell the old one on e-bay or to your parents for their house. We've got this version (which also has 2 bases), and we LOVE it because we are forever letting one die - then we just switch them out. Much easier than unplugging and replugging the base as we move around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - wow. That's a scary admission.

    On a lighter note, remember how in Lane Hall we were supposed to come and get you when the fire alarm went off in case you didn't see the flashing lights in your room (While your eyes were closed?!!!??) Well, that made me so nervous. What if I failed, etc.

    Oh and that made me think of when we watched the Meteor Shower and then you painted it for me. I love that painting and still have it even though the pretty glitter kind of flakes off.

    Randomness reigns. Tell Momma D I say hey and I miss you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back reading old entries.

    Not that you shouldn't face your fear, but you know I'm ALWAYS down for a sleepover. We'll leave Jeremy at my house, and have girl night!

    Can we purposefully send Jason away to make this an option? He can stay at our house?!? :) lol

    ReplyDelete