Sunday, September 11, 2011

Love Thy Neighbor

Today is a pervasive date. September 11th. It is astonishing how a simple recitation of a date can elicit such strong emotions. I have purposely avoided watching the news, reading all the patriotic articles, and viewing the clips posted on facebook. Mainly because I kind of wanted to avoid the pervasiveness of this date. My stupid strategy for fighting all the strong emotions from this day was to avoid it. Generally that's a bad policy, but it works a little too well for me.

Yesterday I was with my in-laws and they had the news on (can't exactly tell your in-laws to turn off the news). I was struck with the images flashing in front of my eyes again. I made it a point not to dwell on the pictures of destruction soon after the attacks of 9/11. I think in terms of my soul, that was a good idea. Seeing the images again, it still felt like it did that day: surreal. I finally allowed myself to look at a link that depicted images of service dogs who were still alive today and had been part of the search and rescue team.

Then there are the posts on facebook, many patriotic, many honoring those who served on that day and in the military since then. None of this really resonates with me. Not because I don't remember and honor and bless all of those who serve and who have lost their lives- hear me- I do. What doesn't sit well is that this day of drastic human tragedy has resulted in a focus on patriotism and justification for war. I don't believe this to be the universal truth- but it certainly is a large part of how the world turned after this event.

What I have avoided exposing myself to the most are the personal stories of loss. Also the stories of hate. This is what really happened, this is what I remember. This is what hurts. I have an image in my head of a very attractive young woman on the TV screen with tears running down her face and holding a picture of her fiance in the vain hope that he was dazed and confused and waiting to be found. Everything about that image screamed hopes dashed. Dreams dismantled. Future halted. Humanity hating.

What happened after 9/11 was unsettling. Revenge. War. Hate. Stricter borders to keep *them* out. We became far less vulnerable and far more cynical. To most, this was the growing up that America needed to do- we had been ignorant and this was a wake up call that our neighbors hated us. We fought overseas, we fought political wars on our soil, we fought religious wars in the media and in schools and in every sacred place. It was a loss of innocence- but more akin to Adam and Eve eating from the tree of good and evil. We ran amok with our knowledge. We have not had the wisdom to handle it.

When this tragedy descends on me with all the unforgettable moments (as hard as I have tried to avoid the pain)... I recognize that the largest tragedy is that we all have still not learned the only thing Jesus really felt was necessary: Love thy neighbor, and love God. We see an act that loves an ideal at the sacrifice of the neighbor and shows hatred toward God, by invoking God's name in the act- it steps up to a level of blasphemy.... and how do we respond? Loving ourselves and hating their God.

We have stopped up our ears with vague patriotism and developed and infectious hatred for all those who do not look or act American. We have ignored the majority of muslims who live as peaceful and faithful followers of a God who is not historically very separate from the Christian God. In our fear, the loudest and seemingly most influential voices are telling us to hate our neighbor, at least deport them. Hate our neighbor that does not get married like we do. Hate our neighbor that does not worship like we do. Hate our neighbor that does not speak like we do. Hate our neighbor that does not dress like we do.

I'm afraid to post this because I assume it will not go over easy. I am speaking for love. I am trying to be a faithful disciple of Christ. I want evil to lose. Big time lose. We've been fighting evil with a fist, a knife, a gun, a bomb for years and years. I want to think that Jesus might have been trying to say something about a new way to fight. Martin Luther King, Jr caught on to this crazy Jesus idea and lead a revolution that succeeded and can continue to succeed if based on love and not hate.

Hear my heart: I want the kingdom of God to be present here, now. I want my sons to love their neighbors and love their God. I want my country to be leading the world in compassion, grace, and love- starting a revolution of a new kind of power. I know it isn't easy or manageable. You don't see me running for presidency. All I know is that I believe that Jesus was God with us- and I'm inclined to listen.

I remember the day that hate won a battle. I believe that love will win the war.

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: you shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:37-40

No comments:

Post a Comment