Sunday, October 16, 2011

I did it again

I threw Christians under the bus. In an OB appointment, no less. I had my yearly "ain't it great to be a woman" exam and was chatting with my new doctor (new partner in the practice) who is a man and fabulously gay. Well- he didn't say he was- but I would bet a lot of money on it, and I'm not a betting gal. The point is, here is a person who is most likely ostracized by the "Church." He's a highly intelligent surgeon/Dr who is gay. It is almost without question that this man has felt some demonization from some branches of the church. I am in perfect position to be a witness for a loving God.

Here's what I do instead: Dr. comments on my chick fil a coffee mug- surprised to learn that they serve breakfast. I shamefully admit that they do, and a wonderful one at that- but that I feel guilty taking advantage of it as I should be boycotting them. He asks why and I explain that among other political contributions that I disagree with, they are financial supporters of anti-gay rights groups and politics. Dr is devastated and agrees with my conundrum- wonderful service and yummy chicken- bad politics (in our opinion). Of course Chick fil a is more than justified in funding and donating to whom they deem worthy, I just have an obligation of conscience to be aware of where my money goes to support. My breakfast is a drop in the bucket of their larger budget, but that justification should only work a few times. So the doc and I are having a very light-hearted conversation about that and other things... Before the doctor leaves the room, he says: "I want to say you have been my favorite patient today, except you burst my bubble on that chick fil a thing! I should have known something was up with the whole "closed on Sunday" bit."

Large gaping open wide doorway for positive witness.

I say.... N O T H I N G. I even smile, as if to agree.

Son of a bitch, Sarah- you love Sunday! You love Sabbath! You think it's cool that they close on Sunday and still manage to reap a giant, fat profit in the face of an economy that believes you may never close your door or you will lose your money. To some extent- this practice is what drew me to the company to begin with! And what do I do? ABsolutely nothing. My silence alludes that I agree with the doctor's unfortunate assumption (and who can blame him when no other voices speak) that all Christians hate gay people. People really believe that!

One of the comments from my other post was from a friend of mine in seminary, Chris. He suggested (lightheartedly, although I think we both agree there is some realness to the suggestion)- that we begin a movement within Christianity to go along with the 99% mantra of Occupy Wall Street. We are the 99% of Christians who love people and don't think it's cool to shun or dehumanize those who are not like us. I don't believe 99% would be accurate, but if you think of all the people out there who consider themselves spiritual or connected or even marginally believe in the God of Abraham and Jacob- I bet you could find a decent amount who would be on board. I wonder how many? Is there a silent majority here? Are there folks who have been alienated from the "Church" who might be able to get on board with a movement led by the vision of Jesus? I'm not just talking about the hot topics like homosexuality. Maybe we could be like that protest in DC a few years back - the "Unprotest" led by Steve Colbert and Jon Stewart. We as Christians are tired of being labeled and witnessed as the haters of the poor, the stranger, the widow, the broken, the outcast. We are tired of the hot topics getting in the way of what matters. Why are we going in theological circles about whether gay people are sinners or not when it is never (and has never) been our job to judge? Shouldn't we be loving and welcoming? Jesus hung out with prostitutes and tax collectors. Really. Why have we lost our focus?

I for one am sick of it. And obviously- it's my own damn fault. I'm challenging myself to represent. Witness- use that wonderful word that now sounds like an insult or weapon to the ears of people who have been oppressed by a "witness." I'm going to be a witness of God's love. Even if it gets me in trouble with the loud people who disagree. I'm going to stop being quiet about the important stuff. I am going to represent the 64.8% or whatever of the Christians in this world who love Jesus and just want to help bring heaven to earth- loving and praying their way.

1 comment:

  1. Even Peter denied Christ and was called the "Rock of the Church."

    <3 God knows our hearts and will give you a tremendous opportunity to show that faith again. I know both Jason and you were instrumental (I should say the whole staff at Fairfax UMC) in showing me that God hat not abandoned me during a time when my husband did. :D

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete