Sunday, September 20, 2009

Music in Asheville

Asheville (no- not Nashville)- Jason, Hunter and I just returned from a really nice trip to Asheville, NC. We were there to celebrate and get together with my sister Kelly and her birthday hubby Jeff and of course precious Lucy- our niece. It was so fun. We arrived Thursday night, put Hunter to bed and then enjoyed the hot tub (man- it would be so nice to have one of those!). Kelly and Jeff came much later- but not so late that we couldn't share a glass of wine in the hot tub. We stayed up way too late, our babies had pity and slept in a little.

Friday Jeff's folks arrived and that night the two couples went to a concert. This is how I know I am getting old- the concert was awesome. The reasons it was awesome: the venue was perfect- non-smoking bar/grill type atmosphere with about 100 seats to the stage, small and perfect... the music was amazing - it was a super group called WPA of Glen Phillips (from Toad the Wet Sprocket), the guitar guy from Nickel Creek and some other amazing musicians. I don't remember the details- but I remember the music and how it made me feel and how refreshing it was to see the performers enjoying the music. It felt like we were just happening by a jam session- only organized. It has been so long since I've lost myself in music- and I had that feeling that night. I could have closed my eyes and swayed and twirled in the back of the room if I didn't have any social inhibitions. It made me want to do that very thing at home- dance aimlessly. It has been a long time since I've done that.

When I was a little girl we had a house in Ft Walton Beach, Fl with a long long living room with high high ceilings. It felt like a cathedral - and it was my dancing sanctuary. I would grab my boom box, put on a little Madonna, Paula Abdul, Ace of Base- whatever mood struck me- and twirl and sway and dance and sing around that room. I would close my eyes and sing it out- let the weight of my body predict the next space I would occupy. I had no routine, no audience- just a free movement and a large floor. Those times made me so happy. I think the other night- I almost felt like a little kid again- like that little 10 year old that wanted to move with the music. It's sad that it takes a glass of wine and a live band to reclaim that feeling- but who cares- I felt it for a whole evening- and it was bliss. I think I understand why some artists are willing to starve for their art- it's the child-like bliss that makes it worth it. It feels like joy.

That look was on the faces of the performers- which is why it didn't feel like a performance. I felt like they were letting me in on their little world of joy- sharing it with me. I paid them for the pleasure and bought their CD to encourage them to continue on. That joy is not a given for all performers- and I just realized the obvious of how wonderful and fun it is to watch other people having the time of their lives. This is my kind of concert. So fun- thanks to Kelly and Jeff for inviting us!

3 comments:

  1. I had SO MUCH fun with y'all that night!

    Ok...side note - if you don't post a picture of Lucy on this blog, people might think you like the other babies more (ie - Becka, Annie...). People...just people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And another thing! I even gave a shout out to Hunter on his birthday...with a PICTURE. Really...show some love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pic of Lucy! Pic of Lucy! Pic of Lucy! Pic of Lucy! (I know, get my picket sign out of here!)

    ReplyDelete