Tuesday, September 8, 2009

pet the dog

I need to go take a shower- but I must carve out a few minutes to do my writing therapy for the day.

We have a dog- his name is Bruno, his breed is Saint Bernard and his M.O. is annoyances. He audibly whines as loud as some dogs' barks. I recognized today that though he is often a pain- I do still love him. It still calms me to pet him. I also recognized that we could ignore him for a week straight (unfortunately in terms of playing, affection and any added attention- this has happened)- and he would still want me to be around. This is what they mean by a dog being a man's best friend- they are fiercely loyal. Bruno was shaved for the summer and his winter coat is starting to grow in. With that his cuddly-ness is starting to reappear and it's a visible sign that fall is here!

Jason and I are painting a piece of furniture (repurposing old junk for new treasures) and this morning at 6:30am- put a second coat on it (most of it). We heard children around 7ish and realized it's the first day of school! I remember when we first got Bruno and took him for walks in the morning- the children loved to pet him, and he loved the affection. I can see a bond growing between Hunter and Bruno- especially now as Hunter doesn't mind supplying Bruno with the occassional cheerios, and they both like looking out the window. My hope is that this hard transition between Bruno as baby to Bruno as dog with Baby in the house will soon be over... it has been hard for him (although with only whines to show for it) and we are finally learning how to give him the attention he needs.

All this to say- happy fall, and go pet the dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment