Monday, March 16, 2009

Communication

I know- it's amazing- two days, two posts. What can I say but that my writer is on.

I just have a short (or long if Hunter stays asleep) thing to say about communication.

Most people suck at it. I mean this in the nicest way. Actually- in light of my post- no I don't. I mean it in a YOU SUCK way. Not to you the reader of course- unless you fall trap to the many ways of bad communication that we all do one time or another. We all suck I guess.

Here's what I'm talking about: when people get upset with someone and go to someone ELSE to complain about it. What ends up happening is that two people get upset and the truth is never found. Or- my favorite thing that usually happens- the someone else talks to original someone and now three people are upset and only someone else knows the full story.

People do this ALL THE TIME. I'm sure I'm no stranger to it- though I feign innocence. It is so frustrating at a church especially to be party to this type of miscommunication (aka- failure to communicate). Another fun communication folly people committ is the "I've had it" mass communication. These are those who are particularly fond of drama. Person A is upset with person B and so writes group C a long venting email about it (to include person B of course- but no names mentioned). How do you respond to that? The best part is that it is usually the result of weeks or months of pent up frustration and anger that were never addressed!

So here is my solution: education. I'm serious. I think that proper/good communication should (and can) be taught, staring in Kindergarten. I'm talking please and thank you- but also listening skills, conflict resolution, and somehow courage and discipline to speak the truth in love. Can you imagine how much drama/politics/crap would de-escalate if people only knew and practiced good communication? My poor children will be my guinea pigs for this program. I might get my older sister (she's a therapist) in on it. I may just be serious enough about this to formulate a curriculum and get it in the public school system. Communication skills should be taught through the years- all the way up and even through college!

Imagine a classroom full of kids doing listening exercises and conflict resolution role-play. Imagine the teenage girl who realizes how to break up with an idiot boyfriend the right way. Imagine the coworker who addresses his colleague with a problem before it becomes a workplace drama. Imagine a supervisor who adequately and professionally offers constructive criticism- and the supervisee who can accept it! I know that every person has their personality quirks that interfere with perfect communication- but I'm not asking for perfection - just knowledge and good. Think about the possibilities- once it takes off- you could get classes on the college level that deal with specific roles. Communication in the leadership role. Communication in the medical field (aka bedside manners- which some are *missing*), etc. Socially Awkward people can at least get some practice and have some tools to work with!

Who did you learn conflict resolution from? Who taught you to speak truth in love? Did anyone? Who are our models? The media (no- I'm not ranting) has to depict miscommunication in order for the plot to move. If everyone communicated perfectly- the mystery and drama would be missing. However- we don't need to have our lives be soap operas ("if she would only tell him! oh the pain! tell him!").

I am sick of soap opera dramas being carried out in peoples lives: work, church, family, etc. it's annoying and takes up time and energy.

So- there ya have it- I'm going to come up with something- anyone with me on this?! I'll do it for schools, for church, for synagogue- whatever.

Fight for good communication! yeehaw!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I think it's a novel, creative, and WONDERFUL idea! Get to work on it, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I started working in the church, I would never have guess just how many people refuse to speak directly to whomever they need to speak to. Even if we could just tackle this aspect of non-communication, the world would be a much, much, much better place...and my church might have a few members that we've lost over these basic, simple issues. How hard is it? Speak directly to people, already!

    (Obviously, you've hit a nerve with me. This issue gets even thornier as one attempts to co-pastor with one's spouse.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of this blogger's entry: http://revitalizeyourchurch.blogspot.com/2006/03/pettiness-and-john-wesley.html

    ReplyDelete