Friday, March 20, 2009

My Old Lady Died

As I begin this post- of course Hunter is beginning to wake up in the background. Often he talks for a few minutes before he's fully awake- so we'll see how much time I have.

I just found out my Old Lady died. This may seem odd to you if you haven't heard me speak of her. I was a companion last year for a woman named Catherine who was 98 years old. She turned 99 this January. Before her birthday, she was in the hospital with pneumonia and I visited her with Hunter. She was thrilled. Her daughters called me a week and a half ago to let me know she was back in the hospital with another case of pneumonia, and this time the doctors were not promising any recovery. She died peacefully at 3:30am on Thursday morning. Margaret- her daughter- called me today to let me know.

Let me tell you about my old lady. She had beautiful white hair that was naturally straight and smooth. One time the girls took her to get a permanent and the curls just didn't look right on her- they were too girly, too fancy for her simple style. I don't mean simple like mundane- but rather effortless, accepting, no-fuss. She was a very positive woman. The girls had to put her in a nursing home after a little while when her care became too much for them to handle. I remember my Mom saying that it was too bad- but Catherine could find beauty and delight in a cardboard box. She was so naturally positive- not the kind that is taught. She genuinely enjoyed herself in whatever setting you put her. So long as you didn't rush her and she could see nature outside.

She and I spent many Thursdays together. When I was pregnant during my first trimester- we dosed off together. I helped her with her scrapbook that she meticulously kept updated. It consisted of interesting newspaper clippings and birthday cards, etc. She had to be sent large pictures of new babies in the family because her sight was failing, but she would put them up and point them out often. She was a quiet-natured woman but willing to talk and share stories. She had an interesting balance of reticence and openness. I know that I don't know everything about her life- but I know more than many people do. She trusted me with many of her stories. She was particular about a few things and would be upset if I didn't eat my vegetables. She was concerned when I cooked up the frozen meals we had for lunches that I didn't give myself enough to eat to favor her portion. She caught on that I was pregnant before I told her and didn't say a word. She never talked about being sad that she didn't stay "home"- she practiced gratefullness naturally.

I read Harry Potter to her. We got through book 3 I believe. She thought Dudley was such a "dreadful boy"- he bothered her more than Voldemort and Draco. When I visited her in the hospital last week- I told her how it ended and that Dudley turned out to be alright after all. She seemed relieved.

I brought Hunter to see her last Saturday- she was still aware of her surroundings and could communicate. She was so thrilled to see him. She touched his hands and feet- keeping her hands outstretched in the off-chance he might grab them. He did and she loved it- showing it only by her complete focus on his face and faint smile.. She looked like a child in amazement. That was the last time I saw her and her girls tell me it was her last good cognitive memory.

My Old Lady died- but she embraced my son and taught me joy. She'll be buried back "home" next to her old church and her old schoolhouse and her old home- right next to the two pear trees she donated that should be in full bloom just in time for her.

I'm going to miss Catherine.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Sarah, I'm so sorry. I loved hearing Catherine stories. This post is such a sweet tribute to her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry at the Reference Desk. :)

    I'm glad you had that time together, and I know you'll cherish those memories of her. Thanks for sharing your tales over the phone, and for letting me share in some of that joy.

    ReplyDelete