Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Disenchanted Days

So... clearly I have a little problem with depression. Or maybe grief. Or both. Or being a stay-at-home-mom. Whatever the cause or sum of causes- I am a little bit tired of it. Right now Hunter is down the street at a preschool friend's house- so that I can bitch and moan while Graham naps.

Let's see... I've been pretty honest in my blogs about how I'm feeling- sort of down and like doing anything is a big production. I literally tell Jason at the end of the day if I've done any laundry, dishes, or anything else on top of general survival. Like it's a list of accomplishments to be medaled for. He responds like I deserve a medal, which has to be a bit ridiculous for him. "Yay! In your 9 hours at home you put dishes in the dishwasher and pushed start- wooooohoooooo!" He has NO idea how it feels to be me- and I don't want him to- but it does make me wonder what he thinks about the mopey mope that drags around the house all day.

Here's the thing- part of me is proud of myself. I know that for whatever reason- it takes all I have just to do the survival stuff, so to step up and do more- that's like climbing the second mountain. I have forced myself to do play dates, general outings, ridiculously cold walks, play game after mindless game with the kids, wake up, etc. I have some days that are easier than others. I am trying to do right by myself. I bought the light therapy box thing and I'm doing that every morning. I have allowed myself to be less than totally panicky about the status of our wrecked house. I have tried to stay slightly positive about the fact that I was sick, better for two days, sick again and then Jason got sick. I even let Jason sleep in two mornings- and that is like giving him an organ. He deserves it (he's up in the night more than I am some nights and he's now the sicky). I'm doing sit ups, wall push ups, squats in the shower- trying to remember to move when I can. I have meals planned that are healthy. I am making Graham baby food. I am doing ALL OF THIS SHIT and I'm tired. So so so tired. And over it. I want to stop working so hard to be normal. Especially since it's not really working. Basically I'm working hard so that everyone else is not as affected by my not normal.

There are so many rational explanations for why I feel the way I feel. Blue Winter. Grandmother died. "Newborn" who still gets up in the night occasionally. Husband who has erratic schedule. 3 year old who sucks the energy out of me. But here's the thing- that is life. A privileged life at that. If I can't make it work with a normal life- don't come see me when things actually go wrong.

I wonder why the hell Jason still is so madly in love with me. I mean honestly, I am so over me. If I were married to me- I would be really not happy with me... or at least frustrated beyond measure. Jason consistently extends grace and love- and although I know it to be genuine- I almost distrust it- because who is that patient? Who is that kind? I don't know if I would be.

All this mental illness PSA stuff out there saying it's a disease, a burden that shouldn't be shameful, etc- well- it doesn't actually make me feel any better. In fact, it just annoys me. Sure it's a "disease." The kind without a known cause, cure, and with ridiculous amounts of conflicting information around it. Helpful. I tend to get these kinds of "diseases." What's that scar on your neck from? Cue 10 minute explanation of the condition that has no name or description that makes any sense. What are your symptoms? Cue 5 minute description of weird things that exist in my body that are so much a part of me that I don't even know what is normal or not. Hearing aids- luckily that's pretty straightforward.... of course no one in the health care industry thinks my insurance should pay for the one clearly marked disability I have. Are you depressed? Maybe- well- I am now- but I'm not always... try again in 6 weeks. Think positive! What do you do? I'm a stay at home mom. OH that's SUCH a blessing....blah blah blah. OH- what a rut...blah blah blah.

I'm even starting to resent Graham for nursing. Not completely- but there are some times when he literally pinches the shit out of everything he can reach- my lips, neck, moles- everything. And I'm like, really? Can you please pretend to make this a connecting moment? I haven't been by myself without the kids for a long period of time in a WHILE. I would like to spend time with Jason- but what sadly sounds even more awesome is a silent retreat. By myself. With a journal. And tea and coffee. And good food prepared for me. And full nights sleep. No major physical strains. No coldness. I want to wear yoga pants and t-shirts and sit in the sun. With a breeze. What a princess introverted fantasy. It would be lovely. It wouldn't solve anything, but it would be lovely.

I feel like every time I begin to tap into something good- it gets poisoned. I mean literally, somebody dumps cyanide in it. I get disenchanted. Crash. High to low. Plans, dreams, excited movement halted.

And I see these people succeeding. Just easily succeeding. I know they worked hard. But they worked hard and accomplished something. I work hard and unload the dishwasher. It's defeating. It's frustrating. It's maddening. What do I really want to do anyway? Do I really want to become a chaplain? Or was I just looking for something ordained to do? I do want to write but I know I can't survive writing for the rest of my life in small, stolen spurts for no other reason than to get my thoughts on paper. I crave an audience. There it is- the vain truth. I don't want to write because I think it's a nice hobby. I want to write because I want to be transformative in the world.

The problem is - that - I am stuck at home wiping poop, nursing a pinching baby, sleeping for short stints of time and barely getting the mail inside. I live a conundrum. I want to connect with the world. Yet right now, I want no one to need me, because I keep disappointing myself and them. Just for a weekend, maybe.

And it's so. damn. cold.

All this is of course, to be taken with a mountain chunk of salt...or a half a bag of peanut butter m&ms, which I just consumed. They were on sale.

8 comments:

  1. How is it possible that in your darkest moments you are so damn entertaining? I actually found myself chuckling at the end... it was funny. I feel bad now but it was funny.

    Are there cyclical meds you could get on? I know it sucks but maybe for piece of mind? As in take them for 2 more months then stop in summer? I have no real advice. Just wanted to tell you it was an amusing post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    Hi! Why don't you take a little "mini vacation" at your Mom and Dad's house in Florida? Leave the kids with Jason for 2 to 3 days and sleep a lot, get your nails done, and eat your Mom's good food! Just an idea....your parents would love it too! Oh, and one more thing...the weather has been beautiful here!
    p.s. you would get back home feeling really refreshed

    Love you,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you're disappointed in yourself, because I really admire you. All that you do, even when you feel like you're doing just what it takes to survive is still a lot of work. And it takes a lot of patience.

    Erik and I hope that I'll be able to stay home with the baby. I'm already worried about whether I'll be able to live up to his expectations or my own. I needed to know if it was ok not to cook every night, or sometimes even most nights. I needed to know if it was ok to nap when I could, even if what I really should do is shower. :P I guess what I was asking him is if it's ok to just survive if that's all I can manage. I needed his permission - I think mostly because I didn't feel comfortable giving it to myself. I can see why people would say it's a blessing to be able to stay at home, but that doesn't mean it's not hard work.

    I hope to give our baby a rich childhood. I hope to spend crazy amounts of time with him, and I really hope I can find it fulfilling to stay home and that it makes me happy. I don't know if it will, and that scares me.

    To have times where it's very hard - I think that's ok. I think sometimes it helps to know it's ok to feel crappy and low. Try to find a way to take care of yourself, don't feel guilty for trying to find the time to write here or to do anything else that's therapeutic for you. I'm sorry for all that you're coping with. I hope something turns around for you and brings you some sunshine. (and if there's any way we can help with anything, please let me know). But until things are better, please don't be so hard on yourself. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, wine/whine night is now my top priority.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetheart, I fell into this hole when my kids were little and I still climb in and out of it. I fell down it big time after my mom passed.
    So you have had a double whammy with your Grandmother passing while you are still getting over the birth of Graham and nursing him - which is draining without the pinching ordeal. Jason understands this and to some extent Hunter does too. They adore you and actually ARE proud of you even if all you do is brush your teeth!
    Just know that there are piles of people who love you and are more than willing to help you in any way possible - especially me and my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least your Hubs is willing to play along with the "look what I did today!" game. Dave usually answers me with a "but what about x,y, and z?"

    I really AM proud of myself if I've done some housekeeping....I know that's small or whatever but I loathe housekeeping. I would RATHER go to a job and file paperwork and deal with people for 8 hours than continually clean the same messes made by the people I love, over and over and over. I hate it. Does the fact that the good housekeeping gene seems to have skipped me make me less womanly? God, help me!

    Sorry. Apparently I am now using your blog to vent my feelings, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moms need an entirely different option. I was just recently reading that 74% of working mothers work only for a paycheck and hate the fact they don't see their kids. I see my son for approximately 3 hours a day, and most of those three hours revolve around stress about having to make dinner, do dishes, and make sure that he gets his homework done. My son usually spends most of his evening crying at the table about having to suck up his 3 free hours in homework and that his whole life is a waste. Where did he learn that from, eh? rr. It feels like a miracle sometimes just to get my feet on the floor in the morning.
    I can totally see how isolating staying at home would be. I think the stat for stay at home moms was that 40% yearned to return to the work force.
    Moms need some better third options, for real. Better paid part-time work, maybe. Single payer health insurance so that wasn't a huge weight dangling over your head all the time.
    -H.W. again.

    ReplyDelete