Thursday, January 5, 2012

Ask for help

Then get your shit together so you can help other people. This is my New Year's resolution. I've been sick for what feels like a month and has only been about a week. I'm *finally* on the mend and really glad for it. (Another post on how I recognize my brief contact with the plague is hardly an experience of failed health- and how grateful I am for health... is coming) I had to postpone a trip to Nashville because of it (still hoping to go soon). My husband has his DMin classes this week and next week, and since I was going to be gone with the boys- he also booked his nights. Then I got sick. I have a knack for awesome timing.

Things I learned... ASK FOR HELP. The village is out there, but you kind of need to call. This is the hardest part for some reason. I did it. I called the college students. I will pay them - but I'll think of it as donating towards their tuition. I called the preschool moms and Hunter had two fabulous play dates without me. I batted away the lurking guilt when I ordered take-out. I turned my head away from the guilt of putting Graham on the floor to play or in the exersaucer and then lying down. You gotta survive! It was NOT easy. Graham had a couple rough nights with teething and growing and all those things babies do at the same inconvenient time. Hunter was freakin adorable and playful and I was missing it. I went to the doctor for meds, convinced and hopeful that I had strep- only to learn I had a virus that would take 7-10 days to run its course. I told the doctor I didn't have time for that. But the village saved me. I had to round up the village- but they came. It is really hard to ask for help when you know that most people are battling the same sad story you are. But I put away the guilt of "I can't handle being sick and having kids and my house is DISGUSTING"- and let the college kids come in and see me in all my red-eyed, puffy hair, dishes dirty, pantry and fridge bare glory. The preschool parents just saw the eye. I wore a hat when dropping off Hunter. I also wore lip-gloss, which had a surprisingly positive effect.

So now that I'm mending... I'm inspired to get my act together so that I can be a village member. One that hears a parent is sick and drops off some soup. I want to- not because I feel obligated to return the favor- but because I know that a healthy meal is a balm. I want to use my powers for good! I want to call and invite the 3 year old over for a play date- not to "Christmas threw up land" but to Hunter's house.

But first I'm going to Nashville. Let Jason get a head start.

By the way, a side effect of being sick is that you have time to think...so I've got about 4 blog entries in my head, ready to go. But first the laundry, pick up Hunter, etc.

ASK for help. do it. REST. (hard). Then get your shit together so you can help. If you can. If you can't- ask me for help in a couple weeks. I should be helpful by then.

1 comment:

  1. You don't need to pay us! You know we LOVE being there for you and playing with the babies. Besides, you were there the whole time and that hardly counts as babysitting. And to make you feel even better, your house is spotless compared to ours, no joke. You can come over and see it if you'd like, haha. Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete