Monday, October 18, 2010

Bills, Bills, Bills

That song by Destiny's Child is in my head... which is sort of hilarious. It's a ridiculous song. But I have officially entered adult life- I am complaining about bills. See- I don't mind the consistent, every month bills that I neatly set up automatic payment online for. The bills I'm starting to be annoyed by are the sneaky surprise attack ones. The 20% of the medical bill we are now responsible for. The way our health plan works- we start with a certain amount that covers everything covered 100%. We have been blessed to be healthy. So we haven't seen real medical bills until this year. This month really. Which is also a blessing, because the new year brings a newly replenished health plan. But it bites because it is coming at our absolute tightest financial time.

Alas I can't really complain because I do not pay an inch of some of the astronomical medical (and other) bills that other people pay- plus I have the fortunate benefit of being healthy. I mean seriously- being sick AND paying all those bills- it's a wonder why some people can stay so positive. I for one, have only truly been sick when it was on my parents bill, and ever since I've been on my own (slash married) I've been predominantly healthy. So- I complain- but I know how very shallow this complaint and issue is for me. I guess I have a new appreciation for what people go through when they go to the hospital (or not) and worry- not about getting healthy- but about paying for it.

To the people who hate the heath care reform: I don't know enough to make a sound argument for it logistically- but I do know friends who will be insured and have a fraction of the stress and worry removed because of it- and that's enough for me.

But anyway. Bruno (my St Bernard who we think is gaining weight), is breathing heavily and whining at the door. No folks, I'm not neglecting him. I just tricked him into coming inside. What he wants more than anything else in the world to do right this minute is go outside and bark at anything that moves or makes noise. Movement suffices. He is also lazy enough to lie down and whine. Sometimes I wonder- if they could measure dog IQ- would Bruno be special? I love him. But I think he is a bit slower than the average dog.

What else did I want to talk about? Oh yes, the cleaning queens never made an appearance at my house (I'm refering to the fictional characters in a movie I hoped to appear in my house)- so I've made a cleaning plan for this week. Don't get too proud of me yet. I haven't even gotten as far as unloading the dishwasher yet. One load of laundry has been run. This is not stellar progress- but it's something. I'm going to finish this blog, grab something to eat (food is fuel) and throw on a movie and fold laundry. Maybe I'll even get to the dishwasher.

No comments:

Post a Comment