Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dreams

Last night I had the following dream and snippets of dreams. When Hunter woke me up at 745am, I was still in deep sleep and in the middle of one dream I can't remember.

I dreamt that somehow I was stuck in traffic- or maybe there were cars stopped, and people were hanging outside of their cars. My purse was on the ground and somehow I caught these two men looking suspicious around it- and I realized my wallet was outside the purse-a sure sign they had stolen stuff. I promptly told them toreturn everything to me. Then suddenly we're in some room and I'm having this "give it back" conversation with one guy. He slowly but cheekily starts giving me stuff back. I have to name the things I'm missing, and I keep discovering things and telling him to fork it over. It was all very amiable and light. I went away realizing that he did still have one of my restaurant gift cards but oh well. It was so funny! No fear. No animosity. Just- oh come on- give me my stuff back. Weird. Oh- and in a few other dreams I had long, straight hair that felt very sexy. Inconvenient- but sexy.

So I don't have a lot of clarity today. It's one of those fuzzy rainy days. I'm still waiting to hear back from the school system and I'm getting a little nervous. I'm supposed to hear back within 5-7 business days. According to my calculations I am on day 6. Still nothing. If I "failed" I really don't have a back-up plan. I have my dreams for the future- but dreams don't pay in the present! I don't like waiting. Not knowing. It makes me nervous. And everyone else feels like this too at one time or another.

So one more comment before I grab a snack and then put laundry away (my only accomplishment so far this week it feels like)... Remember that whole thing about "everything happens for a reason" and how I don't really dig it? Well- I've sort of fought that theology because I feel like it is damaging and I've seen it bruise already tender hearts. There's nothing like an innocent bystander telling a couple whose child died- "everything happens for a reason." It's a slap in the face. But here's the deal- that's how I feel. If someone in grief believes it, stands by it and seems to be getting (or is trying to get) comfort from it- do I agree? I know I can't do that- but should I stay quiet- not offer alternatives? Not share that it's a hard concept for me and I don't know what the right answer is? What do you do when someone is dealing with tragedy- or even just every day life- and they're trying to fit it into a box that you feel is just a trap? Where is the line of care and careless crossed?

1 comment:

  1. Depends on the role and relationship, I think. And the stage of grief.

    ReplyDelete