Monday, October 4, 2010

Nap today

The babies are both napping. Through some serious skill of mine I might add. Whew. I just turned the heater on because it is actually cold in the house- and outside. I realized when I put my sweater on Lily and 2 blankets on Hunter that maybe it's time to stop saving energy and start saving babies. :) I will turn it off in a day when the weather gets back up to 70s in the day time- so I won't worry too much. : )

Things happening in my life: hmm... I weighed myself the other day and I was back to what I weighed at the beginning of my pregnancy- which I think means that I am simultaneously losing and gaining weight. I know for a fact I am gaining as I glance down at this bulging belly- I can't hide this pooch from anyone anymore. In fact- someone actually said to me in church- it's a good thing you told us when you did- you wouldn't have been able to hide it long! Thanks, friend. But she's right. I wasn't wearing an oversized shirt- in fact - I'm embracing the belly and snugging it with my shirts that aren't too small but still pre-maternity stuff. On the other hand, I'm losing- my ass is still the same size if not smaller. And I remember distinctly an ass-enlarging period during my first trimester with Hunter- so maybe I'm delaying that just a little. I'm not trying to lose weight- I'm just eating healthier- remember? I'm also more flexitarian now- not choosing meat and dairy- but not eliminating it either. In fact- I just made myself a hot chocolate with some skim milk- thought baby buddha might need a little milk today. : ) I'm trying to get some milk in me each day (even soy milk is fine, says my Dr.) and I'm going to try to incorporate some fish... somehow. I think this is why I feel as good as I do. And check me out- still in my pre-pregnancy clothes! At the end of the day I need my belly band- definitely. But for Hunter- I was in maternity clothes on week 10! I'll be 12 weeks tomorrow! Wow. I can't believe I'm almost out of my 1st trimester (people go between 12-14 weeks on that calculation). I ate a burger and a hot dog last night and burped the burger all night long- not sure it was worth it. I like being vegetarian!

Hmm, what else. Oh- I got pulled over by a cop yesterday- which I was super confused by because it was night time and raining AND I saw him- so I was going like- 5 below the speed limit. He pulls beside me and says- I've got another call but your plates are expired. Well- in short- we've done the work, we just forgot we didn't get the stickers- so we'll have to check into that- but I was like- hey- thanks. Seriously- he was nice about it- like- just fyi- you need to check that. I'm fairly convinced he wouldn't have given me a ticket even if he didn't get called away- but either way- I have to admit- Fairfax City Police are all right. I have been pulled over twice by them- and both of them were nice, informative and helpful. I can't remember if I got a ticket the first time- I think I actually did. They also helped my friend find her lost dog. Maybe I should write them a letter. I hate cops usually- but my fairfax cop experience- surprisingly pleasant. Another reason to live here. Ha.

In other news- my Mom is coming to visit on Wednesday- Monday. I'm super excited because it is always good to have Mom in town. The weather is going to be gorgeous and there are some fun things to do this time of year- so we should have a good time! I also think she needs a little break from the caregiving of Grandmother- and since she was a haven for me during that time- it'll be nice to return the favor. Although- as those with good moms know- they almost always take care of you. I'm going to cook her some of the best vegan recipes we've come up with and try one on her and see how she likes it. Hopefully that works out ok!

It's a dreary day outside, but the kind that changes the weather, welcomes a crisp, blue fall day. I'll deal with these days. The house is getting cleaner- Jason is feeling better- and I'm moving a little better and less sluggish than the past couple of weeks. Today is good, yesterday was good, and tomorrow is hopeful. I like this space.

Yesterday our pastor preached too long- but it was good stuff so it didn't feel too bad. He talked about the difference between perceived reality and envisioned reality. This is the kind of sermon every preacher needs to preach- we just all have different ways to approach it. The perceived reality is basically what we believe to be the real deal- today with all its limits, fears, and constraints. The envisioned reality is when we think kingdom of God and look beyond our limits, fears and abilities. It sort of hit me all over again that "kingdom" thinking is really dependent on God. This seems silly- but in the moment when Tim (the pastor) was painting a picture of envisioned reality- I was doing something that I was completely unaware of. I was picturing "us" (humanity, my church, my husband and I even) doing more, doing better, dreaming bigger. This isn't bad- but then Tim said these words: the envisioned reality is dependent on the presence of God. Dependent on God's help. Dependent on God. Period. Meaning- some of it is going to have to happen outside of our hard work and creativity. Some of it will happen beyond our abilities. This should not have blown my mind - as a Christian this should be an obvious answer- an obvious point. But it blew my mind. It is SO hard for me to think in terms and especially act in ways that are beyond my scope of ability and work. I don't know that I have ever been brave enough to trust God to be not only a part- but a necessity for some plan to work.

just my thoughts on that for today. : ) got to run and do other things before all babies wake up! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment