Thursday, October 21, 2010

Get your shit together

This is my inner voice speaking. Today I woke up grumpy, was telling Jason my woes and how I know I should not be woeful, etc- but I just feel so damn useless! He told me I needed to give myself some grace. To which I replied:

"I've been giving myself grace for 5 years, it's time for me to get my shit together!" Jason laughed. A lot. Seems my comment tickled his funny bone. But I'm serious! Jason said- oh yea- that's how God works, a time-limit on grace, then it's time to get your shit together. We both thought of the prophets and how they were essentially God's voice of reason saying: get your shit together! God's grace continued- but God really does want us to get our shit together. So what do I do?

Anyone out there who was not born with their shit together and got it together? I'm not talking about people like my older sister who spent time working hard in other professions before they found their passion and put themselves through grad school to do such calling (with a child and hubby and house not neglected) in such an efficient and wonderful way as to make the rest of us feel like we're missing a few days in the week. Yea- you people don't count. I'm talking about the people with dog hair clumps under the couch, dust on everything, toilets with stains in them, kitchens with yesterday's dishes and laundry baskets full of laundry. Is it possible to get my shit together? Do I really have a chance? Is there a formula? A system? A path? A way?? Help me!

It also doesn't help that my husband and child and dog are the collective archetype of Pig Pen from Peanuts.(I even got this character wrong in the first "publication!") It doesn't help that although I can see the end of my first trimester- I still don't seem to have a large storage tank of energy. It doesn't help that I still haven't heard from the school district and am feeling very nervous and defeated. It doesn't help that I was born without my shit together and the whole world around me seems to have gotten that gene.

My system of making it work last year was paying someone to do my least fun shit (cleaning)- I said it was my therapy- turns out it was avoidance. But some people get to avoid their entire lives. Hardly seems fair. I also had another person (Grandmother) for whom I was solely responsible for having had said shit together for. Now it's just Jason and Hunter and the dog and me. I guess they don't merit my energy rising to the occassion.

Feeling defeatist.

Anyone who has gotten their shit togther out there? Share your secrets!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah,
    Does it appear that I have my "shit" together?? Because I am definitely a work in progress...lol. Now when company comes, I can definitely fake it!!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it help you to know that I have completely ignored my overachieving cleaning schedule? I've even given it out to people who have heard that I have it and told them how amazing it is. Not only do I not have my shit together - but I'm a liar!

    ReplyDelete