Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Shopping

I just read a blog by a friend of mine who is reading the shopaholic books and feeling the twinge of her own slight addictions to the impulse buys.

I hate shopping. I've known this, but I don't think I realized how much I hated it (or thought about it) until recently when Jason and I decided to use Hunter's refusal to take a nap anywhere but in the car to our advantage. We gathered up all our gift cards (we still have a bunch from when Hunter was born and the occasional birthday present) and we went shopping. One parent would drive a sleeping baby, the other would hop in and shop with free money. Sounds like fun, right? Wrong. I even hate shopping with free money.

We had $50 to spend at Nordstrom's. $50! I wandered the store aimlessly for several minutes before I realized I wasn't actually looking at anything and I needed a plan. I decided to get leggings and tops to go with them (my new go-to style for a bulging belly). I asked a worker where the leggings were- found them and was immediately overwhelmed by the variety of colors and styles. Then I ventured to the tops section where I was completely lost in a world of fuzz. My brain just fuzzed over. I couldn't focus, I couldn't decide, I couldn't even figure out what colors or size I should be looking at. I got the two pairs of leggings and made a run for it. Back in the car, Jason asked if I spent the whole card- I ashamedly said no. What a poor excuse for a shopper.

Next stop- Barnes and Noble. I was forced to go in again. But this time I had hope- a bookstore- I love books- surely we could work this out. Again- dizzy with options. Fuzzy brain, needing focus and fresh air. An epiphany hits and I think of a vegan cookbook that a friend recommended. I have to text her for the title- but I found it (after another sales clerk showed me where it was). Then I saw a book by Anita Diamant- the same author who wrote the Red Tent. Bought it even though I knew I could get it cheaper on Amazon- very hard to do. I actually went $4 over the gift card- which annoyed me but whatever.

Next stop- the pits of hell. DSW shoe shop. I got this gift certificate from a friend who inherited all the clothes that were too itty for me. Such a nice gesture- but I dreaded using it. Shoe shopping is the center of hell for me. I often feel an overwhelming need to sit down when I enter a shoe shop. I have a little experience this day- so I head straight to the back where the clearance is and start looking. I don't "need" any shoes at this point - that I know of, so I am just aimless. But at least I've narrowed myself down to clearance and size 10 (yea- some shoes just don't look cute in this size). What do I buy? Galoshes. Rain boots. Plastic shoes. I am that girl on what not to wear. It was practical, I ruined the super cute ones my Mom bought me by leaving them outside in the sun to shrink. It'll work for winter snow and our yard becomes a mud-pit, so it really is a necessity. That's what I walked out of there with- of course owing about $4 over the gift card as well... also annoying.

Then Jason meets me in Target with an awake Hunter and I give him the 15 minute warning before I collapse onto the floor. We managed to buy two or three toys for Hunter and spend that card with only $2 over.

Anyone in my family knows that I am the worse person to shop with. I suck at it. I whine. I have to stop and rest. I usually require ice cream. I am the world's most ridiculous shopper ever. This is why my Mother still buys my clothes. This is why my sisters tend to provide most of my accessories over Christmas and birthday presents.

The only exception to the shopping rule is antique shopping- I love it.

And that makes absolutely no sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment