Saturday, September 11, 2010

Gawgeius

That's what the weather is. Gorgeous is too plain. Hunter and I spent nearly two hours playing with cars and balls in the church courtyard. Actually- I did not do much else but sit there and watch the boy play with his own imagination- really fun to see.

And where is the boy now? Sleeping. Like a champ. Another day, another nap, another blog. I'm feeling better today too- so I got all sorts of things done. Deposited a check, looked for jobs, freshened the resume, emailed some contacts etc.

It's really weird being in a place of no power. Let me rephrase that- it's weird being in a place where I need something, rather than where I am offering or giving something. I am emailing these people who are friends, members of the church- letting them know of my job search and asking them to let me know if they know of anything I should be applying for. It feels weird. I'm "networking" with friends and it feels awkward. I really view it as- hey- these people are in positions that give them better knowledge about things that may be helpful to me, I would do the same if the roles were reversed. Not- these people are high up and I need them to get my foot in the door. Awkward- because those two statements could mean the same thing- but I've never seen myself in need of networking to get my foot in the door. What happened to the good old days when you applied for a job- were qualified- they liked you in the interview and so you were hired? You know what happened- nothing. Those days never existed. It's always been about who you know- sometimes it's just a little more subtle. You get into the family business, your church hires you, you move up and down in the company that gave you the first break, you know a friend who lets you know about a certain job opening... you see where I'm going. I guess I just have to remind myself that being aware and reaching out to my social network does not make me a job moocher- it makes me normal. I was just lucky that it was always more subtle for me.

So another day in the life of a mother, nanny, preacher's wife, and most recently- Job seeker.

No comments:

Post a Comment