Thursday, September 2, 2010

I am Job

I may have titled a blog entry this before- but who cares- this scene from Mrs. Doubtfire still makes me laugh.

SO- the truth is out of the bag, I am looking for a job. Yes, I currently work as a nanny for my dear friend, but I am learning (with the rest of the world) that it just isn't enough. It's not enough pay (not that my friend doesn't love me enough- nanny rates just aren't lucrative), it's pretty tiring and unfortunately, the skills I have from it are lost on the business world. SO- I need to get back in the saddle again- be employed in the great American business system again and get a salary I can count on to pay for the basics and let me make the selfish decision to eat out every now and then without wondering if it means peanut butter and jelly for the next month.

I am realizing a few things. I am really blessed- I know this is odd to say in light of what I just said- but when I feel "poor" and turn my nose up at possibilities like working two wage jobs to fill in the gaps- I realize even then that I am spoiled to even think I have the ability to choose. I may not- but many people focus on survival, when I am hoping to be able to be free from heavy financial stress.

That said- I'm also learning a thing or two about the job market. It really does suck, it really is all who you know, and the unemployment rate probably does not take into account all those looking for jobs that have been stay at home moms or didn't have to work for whatever reason. I need to work. I want to work. I am not alone- and that's actually less comforting.

I am smart, friendly, have many gifts and skills. Most of this does not translate well on paper. I have served as a caregiver for an 88 year old, an infant, and a 2 year old. These don't look that impressive- but I have learned more in those experiences than I ever imagined I could. I can navigate hospital red tape, advocate for patients, have patience, purchase medical equipment, participate in forming a care plan and solve very difficult puzzles. I can do it all and take you out to ice cream.

I have also had "real" jobs- from which I have learned very much. Unfortunately for me- it seems I left the world of responsibility 2 years ago to disappear into a hole (motherhood and companion for Grandmother- which requires no responsibility of course). I was the youth director when a former youth died of leukemia, I assisted two pastors in pastoral care for nearly two years and developed several wonderful caring relationships. I can preach. I can't sing. I can write. I can learn anything on the computer and am willing to try. I don't lie. I don't cheat. It is difficult for me to do something or represent something I'm not proud of - the things that I do care about- I will walk through fire for. I hope for respectful colleagues and supervisors with integrity.

I read (skimmed in the doctor's office) an article that talked about how to create jobs without depending on taxpayer's money. I don't know the politics of that statement- but I'd like to think it was just a grouping of cheap ideas to jumpstart some corners of the economy. One was talking about supporting entrepreneurs. I have to say- I agree with that a bit. I heard from someone how hard it was to get a business loan. I don't know if I have what it takes to be a true entrepreneur- but I've had some good ideas and it would be nice if I felt like it was worth working at least one of them out.

OK- about time for Lily to have a bottle. Back to my day job. : )

So all you folks out there- job seekers, job havers, job givers- let me know how it's treating you. And if you're hiring- be sure to let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment