Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ok, for real this time

I'm going to get back in he saddle again. Remember when I wasn't travelling anymore? Well I meant after the trip to Florida. So- we went to Florida for the last free flight for Hunter. He turned 2 on September 16th- wow! And we will no longer be flying anywhere- because it's too damn expensive.

So- we went to Florida and did all the Florida things: boat ride, beach trip, walk on the pier, ate seafood, pool time, sun time, you name it. It was so nice and relaxing. It was also so different from most of my recent trips to Florida. I didn't realize how many times Hunter and I had made the trek to Florida by ourselves. Until of course Jason noticed all the updates my parents had made on the house, starting 3 years ago. We have all seen each other multiple times, but Jason had not physically been inside my parents house in nearly 3 years. That is pathetic- and it made for such a nice difference this time around. It's nice to vacation with your husband.

Hunter celebrated his 2nd birthday in two places: Palmyra, Va and Palm City, Florida. Not a bad life! The whole Snow family joined together for a labor day weekend birthday celebration- which was super nice. Then my family (parents and Grandmother) joined on Hunter's actual birthday to celebrate. You know what is really nice about all this? It was all very low key. Just a couple presents- no big icing cake (my Mom made almond cake which is super yummy, and Jason's Mom put candles on muffins because we needed to celebrate in the morning before Uncle Mikey left). It was just really chill and nice. Jason and I still need to make our "big purchase" which is simply our fun gift idea for Hunter: a fish. Hunter is obsessed with Nemo lately, and no- we're not getting a clown fish, we're going to get one of those big, pretty beta fishes that require very little care. : )

In other news: Jason and I are going vegan. You read right - V e g a n. Why? Well- why the hell not? But really- it sort of solves a lot of our issues. For example: cholesterol- we both have fairly high cholesterol for young adults- not dangerous medicine high, but it could get that way if we stay on our current path. So apparently cholesterol is only found in animal products/byproducts. So it seems simple enough- avoid that and you'll be in good shape cholesterol-wise. Ok, we need to have more energy- according to almost everything we see and hear- a healthy diet comprised mostly of grains, fruits and vegetables will do that for us. So- ok- these are good to eat. We have been trying to be more environmentally savvy- to include the concept of being good stewards (and consumers) of the earth. So- we all know that the meat industry is a little sketchy with what they feed animals, the antibiotics and all that jazz. I'm not getting preachy- I'm just a little sketched out by the practices. So what should I do if I'm sketched out and want to be a good steward? Either I buy organic/free range meat or I avoid meat altogether. The cheaper option- avoid meat. So- we're going to try it out. We'll cheat, we'll eat a burger at a friend's house, but we're going to try to just set some clear guidelines for how we want to eat. I think it might be easier than we think it will be. Jason will miss milk. I will miss cheese. Those will be our points of cheating occassionally I bet. Better to cheat with milk and cheese than soda and chips! The hardest part: learning new recipes and handling the sure to come ridicule from our families. We're going oh so hippy. But if we lose weight- feel freakin awesome and raise a kid on fruits and veggies- it may not be such a bad thing!

Ok- So Hunter has continued to be back to normal on napping - even with the vacation. So grateful.

I'm still looking for jobs. I have some leads though. I'm still wishing someone else could clean my house (that was the first luxury to go- as much as I talked about it being my sanity and therapy all wrapped up in one... I may want the job mostly so I can go back to this therapy.) I am feeling good about life even though everything is sort of up in the air.

And hopefully I will get back to blogging everyday. Because now I have 10 followers! : )

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I was introduced to the Daniel Fast by Susan Gregory. Google it! Wonderful recipes for a vegan. I did the fast for 2 1/2 weeks and felt so good. I'm in that not so good cholesterol bracket as well and the money you will save not doing meat is great too! Anyway, I'm still using the recipes and staying away from meat more often than not. Lee can't seem to do the total meatless thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda- that is super helpful- thank you! It's encouraging to know that other people have given this serious thought and tried to adjust- thanks for the affirmation!

    ReplyDelete