Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Basement Mold, Crying Child and Pie

These are some of the things on my mind these days. One of the things I am trying to retain as learned from my days under depression is that it isn't healthy to think of everything at once, and certainly not to assume responsibility for the solution of everything at once. This takes extreme discipline for me. I am sitting downstairs in a chair that is smooshed next to a coffee table, directly slid alongside a desk. Everything is out of place from our little "water management" construction. Long story short- the front of our basement is mostly underground which means it is susceptible to water drainage issues. Since the house was built in the 50s- the water management system was not so effective. Now we have a concrete path along the wall all the way into the laundry room leading right up to our new underground sump-pump. This was intended to be a 2 day project. They found mold- all along the wall- so naturally- the wall is gone. Our laundry room is also pushed to one side for the concrete to finish drying. Apparently concrete takes 10 days to dry. You know what takes longer to dry? According to the mold and mildew expert: wet moldy walls. So the house is drying out- weeks it will take. THEN they can put up a new wall (more wood paneling- only I get to paint this time- super excited)- THEN we can put all the furniture back- THEN we can dust- THEN the basement might not smell like a cave.

But I'm trying not to think about all the steps in one day. I'm also trying not to think about how when it rains it still generates enough mud to start a new creation. I know money doesn't equal happiness- but it sure as hell can buy some free time and space in my head.

OK- NOT going to think about home improvement projects in a house I don't even own.

Now- Crying child. Hunter has started a new phase- it came alongside whining and testing. He now has decided (after months of perfected sleeping habits) to cry every time we put him to sleep. This is like- so 6 months old. I'm over it. Ready for him to be over it. He didn't even take a nap today- so when he cried 25 straight minutes tonight to go to bed when I knew for a fact he was exhausted- I went in and rocked him- to sleep- like put him down gently and snuck out asleep. This also has not occured since perhaps 6 months of age. Really? Why this on top of what looks to be the onslaught of early terrible twos? More about that later.

But- in the determined effort to be happy, paint joy and write light- I must talk about pie. Forget my bulging belly from tonight's dinner and shared dessert (and fun iced drink)- tomorrow we go to Leesburg in search of pie. There is a place- Heider's Country Store- just before Leesburg- that has fruit, veggies, plants, jams- yadda yadda-- but most of all: P I E. This is better than your Grandma's pie. Really. What fruit? All of them. What do you want? Special order it. I love this place- all 15 summer pie pounds of it. So- we're going to go for a day trip- see the countryside and buy pie. I'm bringing home a pie for a pregnant lady due on Friday - it's like a special ops mission. Pie before Baby.

Let's see what else... I missed yesterday's post bc I was too busy watching the latest Harry Potter movie. I do not apologize. I love Harry. I can't wait to go visit the village and drink butterbeer.

Oh- almost forgot- Hunter had a petting zoo at his mother's day out place today. It was fun- for him. Me too- but apparently gnats are normal in swarms outside during the summer. I guess I never bothered to stay outside in 90 degree weather to find out. Sooo- those were gross. But- Hunter following the farmer and his pony around the pen and sticking his finger up a goat's nose: worth it. : ) Ok- that's it for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment