Monday, May 24, 2010

Machine Guns and other things

I'm writing this blog in the waiting room of a Honda dealership that is undergoing some construction. Let's just say it sounds like machine gun target practice upstairs. It's actually a little bit nice because all the phone calls I was supposed to make are now not possible, so I get to write in my blog without thinking about what I should be doing instead.

Ok- recap. Thursday when Jessa left- basically at least once or four times a day since then, Hunter looks at me and asks "Jessa?" He loves his aunt Jessa. Kind of adorable. Friday- was our last full day at the lake - it rained but it was kind of nice. Hunter was a little stir-crazy, but we managed a walk and fish-feeding in between rain showers. When Hunter went down for the night- he was upset and couldn't get to sleep- finally after rocking him for the 3rd time, I realized he probably noticed the suitcases and packing and might be a little nervous about who would be there in the morning. I assured him Mama would be there. 10 minutes later he was crying- then I realized when he looked at me and said "Nonna?" he needed to know that Nonna, Papa, and Mama would be there. After that chat he fell asleep. There is a chance he was just that exhausted, but I'd like to think that he needed my explanations and understood. He seemed to. It is kind of amazing to watch his developing understanding- as it speeds much faster than I thought it could. He is taking it all in... I need to really pay attention to what I'm saying! This is when you confront the part of yourself that you thought was inherently good and you realize you are actually teaching your child to be a pain in the ass. Or maybe it's not that bad- I hope not.

Ok- Saturday was the 10 hour drive from Georgia to Virginia. I would like to go ahead and put it out there that I am amazing. So is the portable DVD player we invested in. So is the movie Cars and Thomas the train (or boo-ah) Here are some highlights from the drive: when we got gas at the beginning of the trip- my precious Dad filled my tank and cleaned my windows. Once a Dad, always a Dad. Hunter slept for 2 hours in the morning drive (his nap is usually in the afternoon- but 2 hours is a long time for him to sleep in the car anytime!) So the poor kid was exhausted from all his fun at the lake. We stopped at Arby's for lunch- they had no changing station- so I changed Hunter in the booth. Oh well. You need to provide or we will find other ways! : ) Later when Hunter and I both needed an ice cream break- I fought the temptation to wait for a chick fil a and found a McDonalds near Harrisonburg. I get off the exit and find that the McD's is 0.9 miles down the street. This is a no-no in my long-range travel rules, but I break it for the ice cream and Hunter. We get there- and there was one of those slippery floor signs practically blocking the doorway- which was just welcoming. I manage to make it to the register and they tell me these fatal words: "there's no ice cream" In my mind- as a McDonald's- you should just close your doors after that. What is the point? I was devastated- and told the guy behind the counter that he was breaking my heart and I drove the entire 0.9 miles just to get ice cream. Of course he didn't seem to understand the weight of what I was telling him. We ordered a parfait instead which HUnter ate most of- and milk- which Hunter downed. Then we went to the bathroom so I could pee, and there on the floor was as pile of french fries - which I didn't think much about until when I turned around after washing my hands I noticed Hunter leaning down to grab a yummy treat- I yelled- NO! and luckily he stepped away as I apologized and cleaned his hands. It was then that I noticed the broken glass among the french fries. Dangerous!! Then Hunter slipped on the slippery floor. That was it- I picked him up and got the hell out of that horrid place! No ice cream, glassy french fries and soapy floors. It was toddler hell.

So- side note. I just got a free oil change because of the loud construction! Woohoo! Is it bad that the first thing that came to my mind was- yea- well it's about time I got a free oil change after paying so much every time! It probably is bad- but it's true. I was grateful- but honestly more entitled feeling than anything else- and it had nothing to do with the machine gun construction. I strongly feel that loyal customers deserve a break. : )

OK- so Saturday night we get in- Hunter eats, goes to bed- house isn't too horrible and we have friends over for dinner (yea- I'm crazy) and we talk and laugh til midnight!

Sunday- church- I dropped Hunter off in childcare in the morning for SUnday school- but I never made it to Sunday School- instead I was in the resource room chatting it up about shooting stars and sun tans. I did, however, do childcare from 12-2pm with what started out as 8 children and slowly whittled to a much more manageable 5. There were 3 adults total- but 8 kids was scary. I now know I don't want to be an elementary school teacher. Many of these kids were boys- and once the 8 became I was able to stop wishing Hunter never got older- but there was a serious moment of "Oh Shit- what have I gotten myself into?" Boys are weird. I thought they would be hard for me to understand at 12- but turns out the weirdness occurs even as soon as 5. Not ready for that. Hunter of course will be an angel- but still. Scared.

Ok- I'm parked outside a Panera to finish this before I head off to Grandmother's- I should go. But you're somewhat caught up now on things that I think about. Don't let me forget to write about my vision for our church, the mold downstairs and my big head about the fact that people are still talking about my sermon! I'm kind of a big deal (you know- from Anchorman?). I'm not- but it still feels good. :)

ok- we're done for now.

1 comment:

  1. you are big deal, that was toddler hell, and i could write the post about the mold. ;)

    ReplyDelete