Sunday, May 2, 2010

people overload

I love people, I really do. I also love quiet moments and being by myself. I went to church this morning- which as a pastor's wife is close to hosting a party every time you go. I went to Sunday School, socialized during the half hour between Sunday school and church, then went to church. I dropped off and picked up Hunter at child care. The average church goer may speak to two or three people in the halls, the childcare giver and the handful of people in their class and maybe a couple of people and the pastor on their way out of "big church." I was kissed at least twice (not by my husband, and not that I minded- I love the old people who kiss me), I was told of a dream that involved me and my future baby girl (no- I'm not pregnant), I was hugged by numerous people, I asked about someone who is dying, and I made a business connection for a friend. That was a slow Sunday. Usually I'm pretty good with it all- but I think between the baby shower Saturday and church today- I'm overloaded on people. I even got annoyed at lunch today with the waiter- mostly because he was just another person talking to me.

The good thing is that some people in my life don't count as people- and I mean that in a good way. They are the kind of people that when I want to be alone- if they are in the room- I'm still able to have my peaceful moments. (of course there are those emergecy situations when even I am a person that needs to go away- so naps or quiet zoning out work for those days.) Jason is one of those delightful non-people people (my husband), y friends John and Nancy from seminary are alos not people. They are in town this week- which is super fun. Ok - now I need to go spend some time with my non-people people.

3 comments:

  1. hey - non people lover...can you please figure out how to post pictures?! AND...get a picture of your niece on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...wishing I were a non-person... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to be your non-person. I'm guessing Hunter and Becca don't count as non-people, even with all their cuteness. And I TOTALLY get your description of going to church. Perfect description. That's one reason I took the doctor's advice and avoided church for the entire RSV season (the primary reason, of course, being Becca's health)...not that I don't love hosting, but it's awfully difficult to host while swatting hands away from your medically-fragile child. Too much for me.

    ReplyDelete