Saturday, May 29, 2010

DC, Dinosaurs, and dented heads

This should be the title for my friend Megan's DC trip. She and her husband travelled from Pennsylvania to see the sights while they are still in driving distance. They move to Nashville this summer. This was my chance to get to see the whole family and introduce them to an older Hunter.

The following are the events that unfolded:
I knock on the door of their hotel suite and Ben the husband opens the door. You can tell it's been a long day of sight-seeing for them. Enter Anna (2.5yrs) and Jack (almost 4)- two very energetic and happy children who are super excited to see me and especially Hunter. Ben moves past his exhaustion and makes nice conversation as Anna climbs the couch, kicks the cushions down and practices crash landings. Jack joins in and squeezes his thin frame between the couch and the wall. Meanwhile Ben is telling me that Anna outweighs her older brother and that they broke the hotel lamp earlier today. Hunter is in awe. He's sitting and staring at the climbers, as well as the mountain of cars and trains that Jack has unloaded into his lap. Jack was very enthusiastic about sharing. So enthusiastic, that at one point Hunter had a backpack leaning against his head. ALL of Jacks things were deposited in Hunter's lap. Megan and Ben were concerned it was a little much for Hunter- but I could tell he was loving the attention. Oh yea- Megan was out getting food and walked in a few minutes later. Both Anna and Jack dismounted the couch to see her and introduced her to Hunter.

Dinner was awesome. Not so much the food (which was fine) but watching Anna eat it. She was stripped down to a diaper by Megan for her mealtime- and I thought- oh Megan- she cares about keeping the clothes nice. Then Anna proceeded to inadvertently smear fettuccini alfredo all over her body, on the table, the chair, ad the floor. She also ate a decent amount. In fact- she ate a lot and it was her fervor for eating that made her so sloppy. I understood the naked baby for dinner then. Jack ate a slice of pizza and then started ricocheting off the walls. Hunter looked at me and said "down"- which I translated to mean- "that looks like way more fun than eating pizza and fruit." I made him at a few more bites and then released him to stare at Jack.

Then came the dent. The girls are finishing their dinner when we hear Jack crying- Ben went to pick him up- assuming it was no big deal- but then we heard "oh wow" and noticed Jack had a pretty good sized cut on his head. So- bathroom, tissues, washcloths, discussion of to stitch or not to stitch, calling all medical friends, deciding to stay home and watching tv while cuddling. Hunter during all this: playing with his cars and the looking at me every now and then to make sure everything was still ok for him. Anna came and asked me not to cry. ha. Megan and Ben were fairly level-headed through the whole thing and even laughing at how I must be so glad that I came for this crazy night.

Yes- I am totally glad I came! Dents, Anna lifting her butt for Megan to slide the diaper underneath, Hunter lavished with cars and trains- it was fabulous. Watching Megan and Ben deal with a crisis and being able to laugh about it- impressive.

We might see them at the zoo tomorrow- what adventures will we find there? : )

PS- I mowed the lawn today. It looks amazing. I am amazing. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment