Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sermon Writing...

Ok- so tomorrow's post will most likely be my final version of my sermon and perhaps some reflection on it being spoken out loud. In the meantime- let me offer up a few words on what I'm doing and ask for your prayers.

I'm being kind of vulnerable in this sermon. For a purpose- I'm sort of "coming out" with my struggle with depression. Not in the "woe is me, my life sucks" way- but more in the- "hot damn, I found joy and so can you!" way. I won't say damn in the sermon though. Not on purpose anyway. I'll let you read the sermon tomorrow and find out for yourself if it was worth preaching- but in the meantime, prayers are requested. There is something holy about being given the opportunity to speak in front of 400 people about what God is and can be doing. It sort of gives me happy shivers every time. I love preaching- even when it scares me. More because of this moment right when I step up to the pulpit and say that prayer that consecrates my gift of words to be used by God, for God, and for the community in Christ.

I found a prayer in the United Methodist Hymnal that speaks to what I am trying to say...

Gracious God,
make me sensitive to all the evidence of your goodness;
and may I, trusting in you,
free myself from the terror of death,
and feel free to live intensely and happily
the life you have given me. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. love it. great talking to you today! you are my sanity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This prayer is exactly what I needed tonight! Now that we are back in the midst of a federal disaster area, I am overwhelmed with both the devastation and my inability to DO anything. I can't figure out how the heck I can help with messed up sinuses, mold allergies, and a snotty toddler on my back. Perhaps I just need to rest in the joy of being safe and give myself a chance to get healthy before I try to save the world. But still...can't I do something?

    ReplyDelete