Wednesday, August 4, 2010

All Mothers are Crazy

This is something my sisters and I discovered this past weekend. I revisited the concept yesterday to a critical Jason, but I still stand by it. My sisters and I were sharing in a story about a friend of mine whose mother is crazy. Then we ventured into other crazy mother stories. At last we realized- no one is unaffected. Even now, the crazy mother disease grips my older sister and me. You cannot escape. Think of one mother in your life that you would not be able to assign the words "a little crazy" to. I'll bet you have a hard time coming up with one. Being a mother seems to be the presenting condition for crazy. Name one completely normal mother. You can't.

I'm sick for the second day in a row- but much less so today than yesterday. I can sit up and even blog. Quite an improvement from yesterday. I hate being sick. I feel so useless and on top of that sick. The American culture does not leave much room for being sick- we don't know how to do it. Not that we should want to do it- but I think a lot of us suck at being sick. I'm not horrible at it, but I know a few less guilty thoughts would be appropriate.

I'm trying to put my calendar in place, follow up on emails, check about my finances and make sure all is in order. It could be the sickness or culture shock- but I'm just not feeling so motivated. I'm still caught in la-la land of vocational discernment that I forget that there is a present reality that I need to come to grips with.

In other more positive news, Jason, my husband, is a rock star. He grilled a super-yummy chicken meal yesterday- with bacon and a side salad. He grilled some more meat for tonight and all we'll have to do is microwave it. He made me a yummy sandwich today with asiago cheese on turkey and a side salad. Hunter ate his weight in blueberries and watermelon, and managed to shovel down a good amount of sandwich too. Jason has always been shy about cooking- not because he thinks I should do it, but more because he isn't confident in his ability. He got himself a book on grilling and now has vowed to do dinner twice a week so he can experiment! I think Greg rubbed off on him. Greg and Bronwyn lived here for a month with their cutie Henry (15 month old baby). Greg was chef/waiter/maid for most of the time- he just does it. Joyfully so. Not too shabby. So- Jason learned a few things. Also not too shabby. I like it when Jason gets a kick and runs with it. He's also been using our dehydrator to make stuff like banana chips, dried peppers, etc. This makes for healthy snacks and super flavorful salads. What a man. Meanwhile, he's massaging my head because it hurts. And I did nothing for his birthday. Got to rectify that. I sent him to work during Hunter's nap- hopefully he'll be able to catch up a little (he took yesterday off and this morning bc of my sick). I'm hoping by tomorrow I'll be 100% again. Colds in August are silly.

I have a sweet picture of Lucy in my calendar now- Kelly gave me a wallet-sized, although I think it's a little longer than wallet - either way it is perfect and precious and I love looking at it. I need to get one of Hunter and Annie- then I'll have the three sweet faces on my calendar. I can see Kelly in Lucy's eyes. And it isn't a resemblance thing- it's a spirit thing.

Apparently I'm in the rambling mood. I am missing Jessa much too- wishing we could bond some more- like we need to make up for all the years she was a baby sister. Jessa is awesome.

OK- it's time to get back to this present reality I'm avoiding. In the meantime- try to think of a mother that isn't crazy... and I think the disease is easiest to detect in over 45-year olds.

3 comments:

  1. even though they're crazy, you love them :) good post. :)
    would you mind reading mine: http://www.listenthenspeak.blogspot.com
    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Christina, maybe if you wore lipstick you would have a boyfriend" -Kim Cataldo, crazy mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on team Jason! Thanks for the shout out, I feel really loved = )

    ReplyDelete