Friday, June 11, 2010

...and we're back!

My google email does this when my internet goes on the fritz and then it comes back on- like a little welcome message to me. I heart gmail. But that's not what this post is about. This post is about me- back in bis-nass. Here are the following thing that made today much better than yesterday: although I did NOT go to bed early last not OR wake up early to exercise this morning (we're going to tonight when I'm done telling you about my day)- I DID get up and shower without Ms Grumpnass in my head. That's milady Period leaving the building- with all her aftershock hormones too. I mean wow- I really physically felt like a different person today- I never knew PMS was real. Anyway. Then- I took my darling son who was not as upset about leaving his Daddy (he SO prefers him to me) today- and we travelled to Grandmother's/GiGi's. I may have stopped by Chick fil a to get a large coffee (and a breakfast sandwich and hashbrowns). We made it to Grandmother's in time only to find her a little flustered (of course Hunter ran to greet her in the bedroom before I had a chance to get the key out of the front door)- because she had just woken up not long before. I was a little annoyed because we hired people to get her up and do meals with her- so obviously they slacked a little today. But again- my day wasn't devastated- so my hormones are back on track.

THEN we waited for.... drum roll please.... the appraiser. Totally. geeked. out. So pumped to meet this master of old junk and treasures. She arrives perfectly outfitted and personality fit for the job title. Sort of reserved, a little snooty on the intellectual side but warmed enough by the love of a good story in items that she just felt nice and interested. SO- she's expensive (of course she is) and I kind of made the executive decision to go for it. And she photo'd, measured, noted, and such for a while. Hunter played well- we went to lunch which was surprisingly successful considering Hunter was about to fall asleep in his watermelon. We went back to the apartment, Hunter went down for a nap.... hold it- this Hunter who has been in a ridiculous crying phase about sleeping, cried only 10 minutes and then took a TWO HOUR nap. Glorious. The Appraiser made little comments here and there (not many- she was fairly reserved)- and they all made me feel good and proud- I wish Grandmother could have appreciated it. She would say things like: this china is in very good condition, or- I've never seen anything like this before. Grandmother does not realize that this is like- expert on antiques- saying these things. That's like the british nanny lady saying your kids are well-behaved. Cesar Milan saying your dog is calm and submissive. It's exciting and Grandmother is like- yea whatever. But I am eating it up. Trying so hard NOT to pester the lady with 768 questions that have nothing to do with the current task and everything to do with my fantasies involving antique roadshow. Two things I got excited about: my Grandmother has this hair wreath (yea- you read that right) that consists of locks of hair woven and braided. These hair locks are from Grandmother's Mother's family. Cool for Mom and me- weird for other people. I am secretly hoping that The Appraiser also finds it cool. She does. She really does. She even says- and I quote: "this might belong in the smithsonian! What a unique piece of American history." This is also the thing she's never seen before- so there is a chance she looks it up and finds out it's the equivalent of the special ash trays in a trailer park in the Southwest. But I REALLY hope it's Smithsonian material. Why? I don't know- that's just freakin cool. Thing #2- I randomly found two really cool handmade in France purses in Grandmother's "fancy purse" pile (didn't know she had one) last week. One purse had a matching 1920-40s style hat inside that was also handmade and sequinned/beaded for style. Super adorable, and guess what? The Appraiser thought so too. She enjoyed them very much- said they might be valuable (again we may not be talking big bucks- but how cool that I just happened upon them recently?). I feel like I just read all the way to the climax of a super intense novel and I've misplaced it. I CAN NOT WAIT until she turns in her report to me. Cannot. Pu-umped.

So Hunter woke up, The Appraiser finished- Grandmother wrote a check for half and kinda freaked out. (right- she's expensive and Grandmother thinks she's the cleaning lady) I call home- talk to most members of my family until finally I get in touch with my Dad. I'm nervous because he gave me a figure to tell The Appraiser to stay within and I um, doubled it. Yea. So my Dad rocks because he made me feel so good about it and got excited about stuff and said it might be the most well-spent money yet. How's that for making you feel better!?!

OK- so we go home, I'm all excited about The Appraiser. Jason is at a wedding rehearsal and I'm actually fine with it- because I'm still on Antique high. I look at the mail- and there on the table is a letter from this pharmacy that has been so persistent in calling and mailing that I had them mail everything to me instead of Grandmother. They mailed me bills for the medicine that was administered to Grandmother during her stay at the rehab facility. I called them and did the equivalent of gentle yelling to let them know that she had not 1, 2, but 3 forms of medical insurance. Bill them- not me. SO- I got this letter and after 6 months of the same bill- I expect the same thing. Inside is Christmas. An itemized list of all her medications and their charge, as well as all charges deleted and a balance of ZERO, 0. I'm framing it.

Now- I need to end this so I can exercise. We went out to eat- I had a salad (go me), Hunter fell asleep at 830pm (which was what I wanted) after crying only 5 minutes. and now we're going to exercise. AND- lately I've been... well- happier in many ways. ; ) So we're doing good.

A good day. A gooood day. Thank you God.

1 comment: