Thursday, July 22, 2010

My friends are out of control

OK- so everyone wants a shout out. Apparently if you please one person you have to please them all. So here in no particular order are the various shout outs for my friends that may or may not read my blog and may or may not give a damn.

(by the way today was a good day, Hunter took a 2.5 hr nap, the movers came and Grandmother got new hearing aids- but let's get back to the shout outs.)

Jessica Elizabeth Kimbrough Wood Garrison. She is one of my best friends who is fiercely loyal. She and I met when I went across the hall from my freshman dorm to find someone with a TV so I could check the weather channel and see how my parents were faring in the latest hurricane. 30 minutes later I had an instant friend, but she realized she didn't have a TV. She is also OCD and has the ability to get more done than the energizer bunny, all while napping when the kids nap and making frequent trips home and beyond. I used to write smiley faces on her Chemistry notes in class just to watch her rewrite the whole page again without the unwanted accessory. She was insane enough to fly by herself to DC to visit me in her first trimester with a 3 yr old and 1 yr old. And we had a great time. She is the stay-at-home-super-mom that the rest of us decide doesn't really exist- except she does- and she likes to monogram, too. She loves people completely- like a fierce mother hen- and she's real southern about it too. She lets you know how she feels about things but dips it in sugar and honey before she forces it down your throat. She forgave me for many sins and holds me to my bond of friendship no matter how slack I might get. I love her- even if she specifically asked for this shout-out.

Nancy Speas Hill. I already changed my blog design to suit her geriatric eyeball needs. She has been grateful. She is someone that I absolutely love and want to live nearby and raise babies around. She is also one of the few friends I have let in close enough to get in a fight with. I can argue with Nancy like I do my sisters. I think that means we're close. She loves me despite the fact that my very existence as a mother with a gigantic child should piss her off. I am connected to her babies story in an intimate way as I felt at times that I wished I could give Becca a room in my womb if it would help. Nancy is the strongest person I know- even though she's got more issues than Freud. Freud drowned himself in crack- Nancy goes for ice cream- that's the healthiest alternative I could imagine. She and I bonded before babies- way back when she was cool in seminary and we spent many hours at the Snowhillbert (may it rest in peace). Nancy is the friend I could easily talk to on a daily basis.

Megan Schneider Gambrel. Megan is another good college friend, circa Jessica Garrison. Megan is also awesome- but in the "let's have some wine and laugh at this thing we call life and motherhood." Megan has always been on the same page as me as far as the whole expectations of women thing - she sort of had some plans but ultimately fell into motherhood and doubting herself all the way has become a true stay at home Mom- with every intention of getting a house on the lake and rowing out to the middle to meet me with a glass of wine. Megan is emotional and stoic, stubborn and flexible- she does her own thing and invites you to come along. Megan is the kind of friend you want to be neighbors with.

Let's see- Cliff Landis. Cliff is certifiably insane, but he makes his crazy work for him, dammit. He taught me more about God and life and gay people than media, church and Sunday School had to that point we met in college junior year. He is one of the most selfless selfish people I know. His whole world revolves around him, but at the same time he really wants you to follow your dreams and make them come true. And you have no excuse if you aren't working toward it. Cliff taught me that people who are "different" are really the best friends you'll ever find.

Amanda Landis-Hanna. Cliff's sister- she is also certifiably insane, but the more socially acceptable kind. She makes type A look like type Z and tells the hairs on your head which way to go. She also embraces you and your family and cooks for you even with a newborn sleeping or waking 5 feet away. She is worried about her abilities as a mother- but has been a mother all along- she is worried about her abilities as a professional vet but she is more professional and personal than even she can stand sometimes. She also constantly asks if Bruno wants to get his teeth cleaned. And maybe in 5 years we'll wish we had done it.

Tasha Rothwell. She is my soul mate in the friendship world. Our lives look polarly opposite- but really we are just an example of similar souls making a series of different choices. She embraces the passion and fear that comes with dreams. She and I share as much of a childhood as military brats can. She makes me think and dream and sometimes I wonder if I'm still all that interesting- not because she makes me feel that way, but because she is glowing so brightly- even with struggles she glows. She is one of the few friends my Grandmother remembers.

Ashley Brien. Speaking of glowing. Ashley is a friend I don't keep in close contact- but she is youth and spirit personified. I took her to a butterfly conservatory and I literally saw wonder erupting from her being. Ashley taught me joy and wonder.

OK- sisters- I'll save you for after sister weekend.

Christine- you got your blog.

Kelly Stewart- I talked about you- but a short shout out- you're like the pick-up close friend. The kind of friend I met twenty seconds ago and I'm convinced in twenty more seconds we're like soul mates friends.

hmmm...Katy Hinman. The most well-adjusted person I know. By far. One of the coolest people I know. Katy can be taken to any party, any crowd, any group and needs no help. She's so freakin sufficient you are in awe that she's your friend- because surely she can hang out with cooler people than you.

Erin Miller. She's another friend I haven't been as good about keeping in touch with. But suffice it to say that she is so intensely relational that it often gets her into deep trouble- and when it doesn't- it's very very rewarding. I still remember our trip to St Louis - it was so fun, and I remember driving early in the morning to witness the sunrise and the frozen ground. It was beautiful.

hmm- I'm sure I've left out glaring things- like my husband- but when he writes me a love letter- he'll get his shout-out.

otherwise - if i forgot you- i suck and i wont do it again. and family didn't count.

People pleasing time is over. Book closed. Door shut. It's all about me again.

3 comments:

  1. Aaaawwww...sweet...for all of us...even with my issues, I'm touched. Now back to you and ginormo kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. This made me cry. I miss you so much, my dear. We'll be together this August. I'm coming to see your sweet ass. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay! This made my OCD day!

    Love you muches my dear...

    ReplyDelete